Thanks to a little beauty swap with my friend, themigraineparty, I was able to try out some genius products that I would not have discovered all by my lonesome. The highlight of her on-loan collection was Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence Water Base SPF 50+ PA+++ that I’m doing a review on today.
Quick Specs: 50 g; made in Japan; SPF 50+ PA+++; Broad-Spectrum UVA/UVB; there are several variants in existence (e.g. BB cream, whitening, and mousse versions); unfortunately, the ingredients list is in Japanese
- The packaging is a pearlized baby blue tube with a small hole that dispenses just the right amount of product.
- This isn’t your typical facial sunblock. It’s called AQUA Rich because its feel resembles water once you start massaging it on. At first glance, you get what looks like a slightly yellowish gel-creme with white particles. The magic truly begins when you start to rub it on.
- I immediately noticed an instant cooling effect, so how can it not be meant for tropical countries like the Philippines?
- It doesn’t leave a white cast on, AND it dries matte and non-greasy. It’s like you have nothing on, making it the perfect base product for makeup layering. I’ve used this on two separate occasions under tinted moisturizer and foundation, and I loved knowing that I had that SPF 50 shield on underneath.
- The scent I’m getting is a sweet, citrus-y one, just like a citrus cologne.
- A warning on the label indicates that people with alcohol allergy should avoid using this. Yes, I already guessed from the start that a non-greasy formula like this would make use of alcohol. Exercise caution if you have sensitive skin.
- How come it’s not available in Philippine stores yet?! This is popular in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Japan! Go ask your visiting friends or relatives to hoard for you. (Update 05/14/15: This is now available locally in select Watson’s, Rustan’s, and Robinson’s. )
Rating and Recommendation: 5/5. I’ve gotten used to SPF 50 coming in the form of devilishly thick BB creams and sticky sunblock lotions that make me look like a ghost. If you have this product, you could already skip those. You wouldn’t have to replace your favorite non- or low-SPF foundations in favor of a BB with higher SPF. You have no idea just how many bottles of foundation this is going to save me. Hooray!
*Product courtesy of themigraineparty.