Because I’m not terribly adventurous with makeup, I rarely “play” with my looks. I’m no snob though, so I still keep myself updated with the trends. To me, it’s a matter of picking the right—um…age-appropriate—trends to follow. Defining the lower lashline for a youthful, pearly glow with Etude House Play 101 Pencil in 43 (bought at 20%-off sale for PHP 279; regular price is PHP 348) is me gladly rolling with the times.
Quick Specs: 0.02 oz / 0.5 g; made in Korea
- Etude House Play 101 Pencils have an impressive selection of colors and textures. For defining or highlighting the waterline/lashline alone, there’s a pencil colored pearly white, gold with chunky shimmer pigments, a matte beige, a matte ivory, etc.
- While there’s a softer pencil intended for use on the lips, this one is the firmer version meant for the eyes. On that note, it belongs on the softer side of the spectrum when it comes to eye pencils, thus making it easy to draw with. However, it is firm enough that it doesn’t crumble.
- That same softness-firmness combination also allows me to shade on the inner corners of my eyes without needing to smudge it with fingers/sponge/brush. (Hooray for hassle-free!)
- 43 is a shimmering rose gold that’s the subtler of the lashline highlighters. This is the way to do the sparkle trend without looking stand-offish, so I’d recommend this particular shade to gals who aren’t so confident going for a bright white shimmer.
- I didn’t experience any irritation, when I applied it to the waterline.
- Because of the color and shimmer being a bit less pronounced, this pen can double as an emergency highlighter. It doesn’t budge, but perhaps you can find a way to sheer it out in case of a highlighter emergency? Heehee. Only when you desperately need that glow!
- A single swipe has just the right color, but you can go back-and-forth for something bolder. Gotta love how it’s buildable.
- No need to sharpen, since this is a twist-up stick. There’s a tiny sharpener that fits into the base of the pen, so you can keep it sharp for precision. Personally, I’ve never used the sharpeners on my auto-pencils as I deem them to have the perfect thickness.
- Lasts all day.
- SALE!!! 20%-off until the 31st of December, 2014.
- None I can think of.
Verdict: This is the easier, subtler way to get into the bright lower lashline trend. Try it and instantly look more awake and youthful, just in time to ring in 2015.