Fine! I confess to being a little bit of a Swifty. There were three or four songs I liked in the past, but Shake It off, Style, and Blank Space were major developments that got me hooked on the Taylor Swift mania. From her teeny-bopper days of country music to becoming a full-on pop personality, Taylor’s beauty evolution has got me loving the “cherry lips, crystal skies…” Bonus: I’ve finally scored her go-to lippie, Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl.
Quick Specs: 0.08 oz / 2.4 g; made in Italy
- Dragon Girl has the reputation for being the best all-rounder piece in the entire Nars Velvet Lip Pencil collection. All the blogs I’ve read have given this particular shade and its formula rave reviews. From doing my reading, I learned that the quality of the Velvet Mattes aren’t equal, just like the Nars Audacious Lipsticks don’t have a consistent formulation. Include me to the long list of users who think this lippie doesn’t disappoint.
- The pencil’s diameter/width is spot-on. It’s not too thin like a lip liner that it will take me forever to fill in my lips. On the other hand, it’s not too thick. Precision lining of the lips is a cinch, even when the pencil isn’t so freshly sharpened.
- It can double as a lip liner for my other red lipsticks. (See above and below.)
- This “vivid siren red” is, in my translation, a medium blue-red that flatters many a skintone.
- It leaves a stain that lasts all day and the longevity is great. When I eat, I only have to do minor touch-ups on the innermost parts of my lips.
- When it comes to matte lip colors, I take comments of “it doesn’t dry my lips” with a grain of salt. This one, however, will make a believer out of anyone IMHO. One, it doesn’t feel like you have anything on. Two, it doesn’t cause “grubby-feeling” lips, even without using a lip balm to prime beforehand.
- Some claim that this is transfer-proof, but I would have to respectfully disagree. It transfers and smudges like any other lipstick. Maybe they were talking about the kickass stain it leaves? That bit doesn’t transfer.
- I have been only too vocal about how much I hate anything I have to sharpen constantly. That, and the fact that the Nars sharpener is sold separately for PHP 300+. Even if I get a different brand sharpener to cut costs, I still have to go through the hassle of finding a perfect fit.
- The rubberized cap gets scratched up easily. I didn’t have any trouble with scratches on my Nars blush as I can leave it at home. For something I have to tote around in my makeup bag along with other cosmetics for retouches, my cap has already taken a beating after just two weeks of use.
Verdict: Nars Dragon Girl is so good, I’m afraid the other Velvet Pencils won’t be able to equal its excellent quality. I’ve always been so self-conscious when donning red lips, but this color has gotten me a lot of compliments. What a confidence-booster, knowing I can pull off this shade after all.