I can feel summer fast-approaching. Can you? Summertime heat in the Philippines can be so punishing, so it’s time to tweak the skincare regimen again from the cool of December to the swelter of March. I’m replacing the heavy, creamy moisturizers with their lighter, gel counterparts. Let’s start the summer skincare with Pond’s Dewy Rose Gel from Sample Room.
Quick Specs: available in 10 g (PHP 149) and 50 g (PHP 399) ; made in Thailand ; clinically/dermatologically tested
Five Things about Pond’s Dewy Rose Gel:
- The jar packaging of the smaller size, though not particularly pretty, is functional and sturdy. It even has a hard plastic stopper on the mouth of the jar to prevent the gel from getting smooshed against the lid. That makes it lightweight and easy to take anywhere.
- If Pond’s White Beauty Pearl Cleansing Gel has a strong perfume smell, Dewy Rose Gel is different. You may find this funny, but I’m actually getting the scent of a sweet sparkling wine. I don’t mind it so much as it neither smells bad nor lingers, and it’s probably from the denatured alcohol content.
- It’s an easily-absorbed gel that doesn’t become too watery when melting on the skin. As with a lot of gel moisturizers, there is a refreshing sensation when applying this. The formula is gentle, and I have had no untoward reactions with the alcohol or the dimethicone content. My skin feels hydrated but non-greasy, so I think this would work best with oily skin types.
- When you first see the gel inside the jar, you’ll be surprised to find that it is packed with a pearly pink shimmer. I don’t know if this is supposed to contribute to an instant brightening effect, but it doesn’t look shimmery once the gel has been smoothed on to the skin.
- Both sizes are affordable. The smaller one makes for a reasonable trial size, while the bigger one at 50 g is a fair amount of product to get inside that pretty jar.
Verdict: My skin adjusts through the seasons, so there is a time when a gel moisturizer is good to have on hand. A mild and affordable option, Pond’s Dewy Rose Gel is widely-available and worth the price.