I had a tough time deciding between Bobbi Brown Pale Pink Blush and Nars Orgasm. They’re not so far apart price-wise, but they do have completely different colors and finishes—BB is matte and pastel pink, while the Nars one is peachy-pink and chocfull o’ shimmer—so I had my research work cut out for me. But guess what? I ended up getting something else! As the title indicates, I’m reviewing Nars Deep Throat Blush, the wild card entry.
Nars Deep Throat (with flash)
Close-up on the pan (no flash)
There’s a funny personal story behind this shade: Wanting to have a look at Orgasm, I visited the Nars counter maybe two or three times prior to taking the plunge (actually, this was a gift from M) to swatch and compare, then rinse and repeat. Each time, I swatched Deep Throat thinking that it was Orgasm. The SA would point me to the right blush, and that would be that.
On the day I was set to make the decision between Pale Pink or Orgasm, I still accidentally reached for Deep Throat first. I took it as a sign and had the SA test both DT and O on each cheek, then I had three people vote on which one looked better on me. DT won unanimously, and even I was convinced when I looked in the mirror. According to the comments, DT looks more like a natural flush on my pale skin. With the Nars counter’s lighting, I saw O’s gold (read: light bronzer-esque feature) more than peachy pink.
Quick Specs: 4.8 g/0.16 oz; made in Canada
- The case feels sturdy, and the mirror doesn’t hurt either. While I’ve been handling it with care like a high school student parenting a chicken egg, I can also feel the quality of the hinges. I don’t think it’s the type that’ll just snap off after a while, but only time will tell.
- Can I say Deep Throat is the less-enthusiastic version of Orgasm, but totally mean it as a compliment? This brings out a flush of color and a hint of shimmer without being shimmer-packed. It’s a versatile blush shade for me.
- Lasting power is worth mentioning. For the record, this isn’t sweat- or humidity-proof, but the longevity is good for regular days without too much strenuous activity. Indoors, it lasted from early afternoon to late evening on me.
For the sake of comparison…
- Deep Throat appears lighter than Orgasm on the pan, but the former surprisingly registers more peachy-pink than the latter. The shimmer bits are slightly bigger than Orgasm’s and are sparser as well.
- Orgasm, on the other hand, has finer shimmer that’s packed and completely blended with the color pigment. Gold shimmer and peach-pink color appear to be at 1:1. Between the two, it has that light bronzing capability because of that sun-kissed effect that the fine gold shimmer gives off.
- The rubbery texture of the compact sucks. It’s stored in my makeup pouch, so I have no issue with dust. Foundation-caked fingers, on the other hand, is the main culprit for dirtying up my case.
- As if Nars products weren’t expensive enough. It’s a shame that I was only able to get one after the price increase.
- No mini blush brush included. I hardly use the tiny brushes that come with my blush, so I didn’t mind for the longest time. However, even a small one would come in handy for touch-ups. (See “isn’t sweat- or humidity-proof” above.)
Verdict and Recommendation: So I still haven’t crossed off Orgasm from my beauty bucket list, after all. But then again, it might also be scratched off the bucket list entirely. Despite the cult following, Deep Throat looked better on me. (Think a really close basketball game where both teams played excellently, but one just won by a point or two.) This isn’t me dissing O in favor of DT. Methinks it’s a case-to-case basis, since the two are so similar. If you find yourself struggling to make a choice between the two, best let your skin tone do the talking.
*BTW, Pale Pink may have been overshadowed by the DT vs. O internal war I was waging, but it’s still on my list!