Having almost-monolids and narrow eyes, a gift from my Asian heritage, is a tricky thing to play around with. My teenage years were spent experimenting with eyeliner techniques to make my peepers look bigger and rounder. To this day, I try out the liner trends from time to time to see how far they can take me. It’s usually a matter of going thicker or thinner in certain places and tightlining away. I got to enjoy my latest experiment with the new Covergirl Intensify Me! Liquid Liner (USD 8).
Quick Specs: 1.0 ml / 0.03 fl oz ; made in Germany
Six Things About Covergirl Intensify Me Liquid Liner:
- It doesn’t get any more compact than this! It’s a straightforward pen-type liquid liner with a felt tip, paddle-shaped applicator. I appreciate the slightly tapered grip with the rougher texture for clumsy hands (i.e. me).
- Admittedly, this is my first time using a felt-tip liquid liner. The last time I tried a liquid formula was with a thin, straight brush. (The bottle looked like nail polish.) There was a bit of a learning curve for this CG pen, but I got it down in about three uses. Using the felt tip horizontally allows for a narrow line, while vertical use creates a bolder look instantly. For my preferred level of a slightly winged look, I used the pen vertically to follow the lashline until the outer corner of the lid . Then I used the thin tip to do the upward strokes. Yes, I stick to thin lines.
- Tightlining is possible, although the felt-tip can feel a little itchy on the lashline. After I got the liner on, it didn’t irritate my eyes.
- The formula is buildable, taking 2-3 layers to get to a satisfyingly opaque bold black. One layer isn’t enough. It sets with a mild sheen.
- Once it dries completely, and it does dry quite quickly, it stays on fairly long UNLESS exposed to sweat. I made the mistake of trudging uphill on a hot night. I went home to see crazy raccoon eyes. Without the sweat, it removes easily with facial wash.
- As always, I find Covergirl products to have agreeable prices.
Verdict: This experiment taught me that the extended winged eyeliner look actually makes my eyes look more narrow, so I’ll stick to my usual straight line with just the tiniest upward curve at the ends. I did enjoy using this Covergirl Intensify Me! liner, because of its versatile two-way applicator that’s there to suit my eye-defining moods. I suspect those, like me, who want to practice their liner skills will appreciate this just as much.
*I received this product free-of-charge for editorial consideration, but was not otherwise compensated for this review. The opinions shared here are entirely my own*