I was in a bit of a funk back in November, but my December is certainly picking up. In my family, we are in the midst of finalizing our Christmas Eve and Christmas Day plans. It’s hard not to get enthusiastic with the upcoming celebrations, especially when cake is involved.
As for other updates that don’t include holiday gluttony, I’ve got another list of empties for ya:
Clockwise from top: Light Power Essential Skin Refiner, Light Balancing Emulsion, Multi Cleanser, Water Bank Essence, and Water Bank Gel Cream
I’ve studied enough cycles of Avon brochures to know to be patient and wait for a sale before pouncing. As a result, I ended up with a huge bottle of Avon Simply Delicate pH Balanced Feminine Wash in Calming. I don’t think I could write paragraphs upon paragraphs about feminine intimate care, so I’ll make the review as quick and painless as possible.
Avon Simply Delicate Feminine Wash
Quick Specs: 400 ml at SRP PHP 349 (smaller bottle available) ; made in the Philippines
I’ve been transferring my fragrances to small spray bottles, so that I can have a smaller version in my purse for quick re-applications. As you know, the next best thing to a spritz bottle is a roller ball fragrance, so I got Avon Far Away Bella Purse Concentre as a handy bag staple.
Avon Far Away Bella Purse Concentrate
Quick Specs: 9 ml roller ball bottle; available in 50 ml eau de parfum spray for PHP 1,250 regular price; made in the Philippines
Roller Ball Applicator
Five Things About Far Away Bella:
- I may have said above that the alternative to spray bottles are roller balls, but I’d still take the spray bottle over the roller ball any day of the week. It’s just easier for me to get the amount I need to the place where it needs to go with the use of a spray.
- For the bigger perfume bottle, I’m not a fan of the packaging. Avon’s later fragrance releases are certainly sleeker. I find the piece of tulle fabric a little awkward and tacky, to be honest. Very 90’s.
- According to Fragrantica, Far Away Bella is composed of Italian clementine, Chinese magnolia, and tonka beans. I initially get the zesty, sweet of the clementine followed by the warm, powdery tonka beans. In choosing fragrances, there’s a part of me that likes fresh, citrus scents that I equate to ‘clean’, while there’s another part of me that appreciates the warm, comforting powdery or vanilla scents. This Avon release has a bit of both, so it instantly attracted me from the rub-and-sniff brochure page.
- I’ve used enough scents from different brands to know that there are some that just don’t last long when applied directly on my skin. Philosophy Amazing Grace is one such example, and Avon is no different.The longevity of this purse concentre is about an hour on the skin, but much longer on my clothes. Let’s give it about five hours.
- While it was on pre-holiday sale, I was quick to snatch up this PHP 99 roller ball. Wait for a sale to get the most competitive price.
Verdict: I’d stick to the roller ball version of Far Away Bella, knowing the longevity isn’t that impressive on me. The scent is not one that is usually associated with Avon fragrances, but that’s the beauty of it . (Read: Not like Sweet Honesty.)
I was a little intimidated with using metallic blue eyeliner, but electric blue presented a bigger challenge. This shade of blue turned out to be highly wearable. Yay!
Face: Celeteque Brightening Multi-benefit BB Cream, K-Palette Zero Kuma Concealer Type 3, Pixy UV Whitening Two Way Cake in Natural White, Avon Skin Goodness Minerals Blush in Blushing Mauve, and Canmake Highlighter in Baby Beige.
Eyes: Etude House Drawing Eye Brow, In2It Eyeshadow, Eye of Horus Scarab Sapphire Goddess Pencil, Benefit They’re Real Mascara, and Etude House Play 101 Pencil in 43.
Lips: Revlon Lip Butter in Berry Smootie
Avon has a few gems in their lineup. For me, the lipsticks and fragrances are hit or miss, while the skincare is A-ok. As for the blushes, I’ve just tried my first one, and I’m glad that it’s the Skin Goodness Minerals Blush in Blushing Mauve (PHP 250 regular price; got it on sale for PHP 199).
Avon Skin Goodness Minerals Blush
Quick Specs: 2.5 g ; made in the Philippines; talc-, fragrance-, and oil-free; available in three colors
Rocking the mauve
- Blushing mauve is a medium pink warmed up by a little mauve and brightened with white shimmer. The shimmer pigments are noticeable, but within the acceptable “highlighter” size. (i.e. It’s not big or chunky enough to be considered glitter.) That combination gives a light pop of color with eye-catching shimmer, a blush that’s hard to overdo.
- After four to six hours, I got slight fading, but no need to retouch as it still looks like I have blush on. Not so bad.
- Being a loose powder without a complete stopper or puff means it doesn’t travel well, unless you plan to tape the small hole shut. Seems impractical.
- There are only three colors in this line, the other two being Blushed and Radiance. Seeing that it’s a good-quality blush with an affordable price tag, it’s a shame that there are only three shades to choose from.
Verdict: It’s worth the PHP 199 price. Blushing Mauve, a hit (not a miss) for Avon, is a shade that easily goes with pink, purple, or earth-tone eye shadow.